Tuesday 29 April 2014

Y is for YouTube



Y is for YouTube

Why do I pick YouTube for my Y?  I can’t say I’m looking at YouTube videos every single day but it's actually quite a regular occurrence these days.

I never ever thought I’d attempt to make any videos myself and post on YouTube.When it was suggested as a promotional tool I didn't at first have any idea of what a book trailer video was. It was only after viewing a couple of sample book trailer videos that I decided to have a go. At this point in time I had signed my first book contract, had already done all the edits (there were a lot for that one!) and was awaiting the release date coming. I think that was back in early July of 2012 and my first romantic novel had a launch date of late August 2012.

After some very hurried questions to authors in the know, who had already made their own videos, I learned about Windows Movie Maker which could be downloaded free - and that was perfect since my budget was zero. More questions followed the first ones and I chose www.123rf.com as my preferred image site since, from them, any image I purchase the use of can be used multiple times on my blog, videos, website etc. Music took longer to decide on but I was pointed in the direction of a few FREE Royalty Free sites.

After a very quick learning curve my first video was produced for my sensual contemporary mystery Monogamy Twist (Wild Rose Press). Since I’m not techie minded, I wasn’t aware that I could use only as much of a FREE Royalty Free piece of music as would suit the purpose. I chose music I thought fitted the story very well and used the whole piece which amounted to more than 2 minutes. Only later did I realise that it's really too long and the best videos are around the 90 second mark- short and snappy.

You live and learn, though, and my attempt for Take Me Now, my second Wild Rose Press contemporary romantic mystery was slightly shorter and great fun to do. I was able to use some of my own photographs which pleased me very much!


Since then, I've made book trailer videos for all of my published novels but I have to admit that on a zero budget finding the images for a historical book set in Celtic/ Roman Britain of the first century is very challenging. Doing 3 different ones is quite taxing! Yet, I’ve made the best I can and I’m quite satisfied that I’ve done them unaided. 

This is for The Beltane Choice, Book 1 of my Celtic Fervour Series of historical romantic adventures (Crooked Cat Publishing) set in AD 71 Roman Britain. I followed advice and made it close to the 90 second mark but put in fewer of the fancy transitions I used on Monogamy Twist.

For After Whorl: Bran Reborn, Book 2 Celtic Fervour Series, I settled on a pattern of a maximum amount of slides and kept the effects to simple transitions. 


After Whorl: Donning Double Cloaks, Book 3 Celtic Fervour Series, has similar aims. 


I also made a Book Trailer Video for Topaz Eyes (Crooked Cat Publishing), my contemporary ancestral/dynasty based mystery thriller. I again enjoyed being able to use my own photographs for some of the slides.




My YouTube channel page also has a couple of other videos of me doing readings or a ‘talk’. So, yes, I’m very pleased that the possibility of using a Video design programme (Windows Movie Maker) was suggested. I like to think I’ve learned a little along the way though I steer clear of really fancy footwork!

I also find I'm taking a quick look at videos suggested on Facebook.How about you?

Slainthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)