Saturday 18 January 2014

Writing a Press Release

Happy Saturday to you!

My topic of the day is about writing a press release. I spent some of my Friday writing time doing exactly that when I composed a press release, to send to newspapers in Scotland. Not to my very local rags, since they did small features in December for my last historical adventure release- After Whorl: Bran Reborn. Yesterday's press releases were going to newspapers in my nearest city (Aberdeen) and to Edinburgh.


My current press release is not for a new book release, it is more to make the public aware that my dynasty-based mystery thriller- TOPAZ EYES- has been nominated for a prestigious UK-wide national competition - THE PEOPLE'S BOOK PRIZE 2014. And that I desperately need people to VOTE for it before the end of February 2014, be they local or global! It's the public who vote for the book and my publisher- Crooked Cat Publishing- and not a panel of judges.

Whether you live in my home village in Scotland, or in the US, Sweden, China, Indonesia or wherever you as a reader of this blog live, your VOTE for my book counts!





I'm not skilled at writing a press release but this is what I came up with:




TOPAZ EYES is nominated for THE PEOPLE’S BOOK PRIZE 2014 Fiction (winter)

  
Scottish author, Nancy Jardine, is delighted to announce that her dynasty-based mystery thriller Topaz Eyes - which revolves around a hazardous worldwide hunt for Mughal jewels - has been nominated for the winter section of UK nation-wide competition, The People’s Book Prize 2014. This prestigious prize has no judging panel. It is only members of the public who vote for this award, so every possible vote is needed for Edinburgh-based Crooked Cat Publishing and Topaz Eyes to go through to the finals which will be judged in May 2014.



The duration of voting for Topaz Eyes (winter quarter of the year) runs from the beginning of Dec 2013 through to the end of February 2014, so there’s still time to place your vote and support a Scottish writer and local publisher.



You can place your VOTE by following this link: http://www.peoplesbookprize.com/book.php?id=1060



Nancy Jardine, from Kintore in Aberdeenshire, has had five novels published since she stopped teaching in 2011: novels which cover the genres of historical adventures and contemporary mysteries with romantic elements. Novels six and seven are due for publication in spring 2014- both of these are set in Aberdeenshire, during different periods of Ancient Roman Occupation of the area.



Nancy Jardine says: “I love including something about Scotland in my novels whenever possible. My fictitious Keira Drummond, in Topaz Eyes, is from Edinburgh and although the fantastic European cities of Heidelberg, Vienna and Amsterdam feature in the hunt for the scattered collection of jewels, it is Edinburgh that is the crucial location regarding the discovery of the ultimate mystery item. I really enjoyed designing the complex family tree for this novel. Linking together the third generation members who form the ‘hunt’ team, unknown to each other at the beginning of the novel, was great fun- and it was especially good inventing the ‘rotten apples’ in the family whose greed gets the better of them.”  



A reviewer of Topaz Eyes on Amazon writes: “…I found Topaz Eyes to be a highly entertaining read on multiple levels. Author Nancy Jardine's writing is smooth, engaging and polished. Enhanced by engaging secondary characters, this book deserves 5 stars. I'll look for more by this author in the future. What a wonderful book!”



Nancy Jardine’s novels are available in print and ebook formats from


They can also be purchased from W.H.Smith; Waterstones: Crooked Cat Bookstore; Smashwords; and Barnes and Noble.



A Youtube book trailer video for the plot of TOPAZ EYES can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgPf5kTAyi4&feature=channel&list=UL





Back cover Blurb for TOPAZ EYES:

A peculiar invitation to Heidelberg embroils Keira Drummond in the search for a mysterious collection of extraordinary jewels once owned by a Mughal Emperor; a hoard that was last known to be in the possession of Amsterdam resident, Geertje Hoogeveen, in 1910.

Who among the progeny of Geertje – hitherto unfamiliar third cousins brought together for the quest – can Keira rely on? Distrust and suspicion among them is rife.

Which one is greedy, and determined enough, to hire thugs to tail her… and worse… as she travels to Vienna and Minnesota?  Can Keira even trust Teun Zeger - a Californian she is becoming very drawn to – as they pair up to unearth the jewellery?

As they follow a trail of clues, will they uncover the full collection before the hired gun kills them? Details remain furtive and undisclosed until danger and death forces their exposure. And who harbours the ultimate mystery item that is even more precious than the Mughal jewels?

Greed, suspicion and murder are balanced by growing family loyalty, trust, and love. 

After I wrote the press release and sent it to 4 Scottish newspapers,  I had moments of doubt about whether I was on target. I 'Googled' - How to write a press release' and then wished I hadn't. Some key elements from the articles I'd read have been followed. What I didn't do was include the above press release in the body of the email, as was suggested on more than one site. 

I whittled writing a press release down to; 

Headline-eye catching

Lead Paragraph:

Who & What – my key message, ultimate objective and target audience

When & Where & How –duration of competition voting and how to vote link

Quotes

Links for me and my books



Most important first, least important last.

I had a blog post to write for my 'every second Saturday' blog at Writing Wrangler and Warriors today so it's no real surprise that 'Writing a Press Release' is my topic. On there, you'll find links to the sites I've used in my researchingof this skill.  http://writingwranglersandwarriors.wordpress.com



Do you think I made a huge mistake in attaching it? Are there other mistakes made in the above press release which I could improve on next time? Please drop me a message in the comments box and let me know what you think.

Happy reading, and happy writing if you're an author like me.

Slainthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)